Saturday, May 8, 2021

Short Oil Sketch Demo

Today I thought I might post a short oil sketch demo. I am painting the bay at the entrance to Cobh island at low tide. My palette is quite simple as can be seen below..


It consists of alizarin crimson, cadmium red, burnt sienna, yellow ochre, cadmium green cadmium blue and sap green. To help with the mix I am using a premixed buff and of course a large amount of titanium white. The underpainting is completed in burnt umber and I am also using a measure of liquin gel to improve the flow of the paint. The surface support is just a piece of waste foamex and the full sketch took about fifty minutes. My camera set up is just a cheap webcam held in place with some clamps.. not a very high quality output but as this is just a sketch you can still get the sense of it.


The camera sits between me and the easel so I must paint around it.. 
but it's said you must suffer for your art and that's the only suffering I intend to do today :)
Below you can see the movie of the work being painted, it has been speeded up by 
six hundred percent as I am aware that the internet is not a place where anyone stays 
in the one spot for long. So be assured it will all be over in about five minutes 
and is relatively painless.


The finished work is here. With this work from the very outset I loaded on the paint, not my usual approach but it seemed to work this for this particular case, also it was a lot of fun.


Entrance to the island        oil on foamex 28cm x 20cm

....and that's it, hope this was helpful or at least interesting for you and as always...


Thanks for looking :)

2 comments:

Oh wow ! a comment, I just love comments :) thanks very much.

/* Start Stumble Hover button ------------------------------------------------ /* End Stumble Hover button ------------------------------------------------