Friday, July 22, 2011

Pencil study of an old man.

another quick study.....

kevin gough www.goughpaint.blogspot.com

This was completed using mostly 6B and H minen leads plus the oil pitt
pencils I have come to like so much. I used be a fan of blending with a tortillon,
but lately I have stopped as I find the finely graded tones to have a bland appearance.
While they have their uses they can cause a sketch to become a little too flat.
So I am trying to allow a lot of the looser pencil strokes to remain, both to direct the eye
and retain the expressive agitation they create. The pitt pencils are then used for the darker tones and points to provide a contrasting calm grading in value in the darker areas.

Thanks for looking :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Oh wow ! a comment, I just love comments :) thanks very much.

/* Start Stumble Hover button ------------------------------------------------ /* End Stumble Hover button ------------------------------------------------